Councillor Andrew Stevens and the Heritage Community Association are engaging local businesses and residents in response to concerns over unwanted graffiti.
The initiative is part of a broader effort that includes a mural-painting project, a spring-time community clean-up, and ongoing programs and services to address poverty, colonialism, and safety in the Heritage neighbourhood.
This initiative will consist of:
- Information on how to report and remove graffiti, including where to find free or discounted supplies
- A fundraising campaign seeking sponsorship from local businesses and donations from Heritage residents to help cover the cost of supplies
- Working with property owners, landlords, and tenants to build a community-based response to graffiti
- A volunteer “Neighbour Labour” crew consisting of residents and friends of the Heritage neighbourhood who will gather throughout spring and summer 2018 to help residents who are unable to remove graffiti on their own
Under the City of Regina’s Community Standards Bylaw, property owners are responsible for removing graffiti on their property. But not everyone is able to do that, due to financial and/or physical limitations. The initiative’s main purpose is to help these people.
Launching in early February 2018, and carrying on throughout spring and summer, the success of this initiative will be dependent on the involvement of community-minded residents and business owners.
We’re hoping you can get involved in one of the following ways:
If you have unwanted graffiti on your property, and you’d like some help removing it, please email email@example.com or call (306)757-9952 with the following information:
- your address and phone number
- a description and/or photo of the graffiti
- an explanation of what kind of support you need (supplies, physical labour, etc.)
We’ll get in touch to arrange clean-up by our team of volunteers, or to get you access to the supplies you need to do it yourself.
If you want to help remove unwanted graffiti, please join our Neighbour Labour group on facebook, or email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (306)757-9952 with your contact info. So far, there are two Graffiti Removal Work Bees scheduled: April 28 from 10am – 1pm, and May 25 from 1-4pm. We are also open to organizing additional work bees if you have a large group of volunteers who cannot attend on either of these dates.
If you are a business owner interested in sponsorship opportunities, please email email@example.com or call (306)757-9952 to discuss options. Funds raised will cover costs of graffiti-removal supplies.
In exchange for all financial contributions over $100, we will include your business name (and links to your website or social media where possible) on all communications regarding the initiative, including on our social media, our monthly e-newsletter, and the Heritage Happenings print newsletter.
If you are a community member interested in donating to the project, you can do that in any of the following ways:
- Online by credit card or Paypal here. Please include “graffiti abatement” in the Message so we know where to direct your contribution.
- In person or via snail mail by cash or cheque (made out to Heritage Community Association). Please include “graffiti abatement” in a note accompanying your donation. Our address for mailing or drop-off is #100 – 1654 11th Ave., Regina SK, S4P 0H4. If we are not in the office, you can drop it in the secure mailbox outside our door between 8am and 4:45pm any week day.
Any amount – large or small – will be greatly appreciated.
Shayna Stock, Executive Director
Heritage Community Association